Monday, November 19, 2012

Sometimes this time of year, I find myself looking for new projects. Maybe it's because the season is changing to winter and most of us find ourselves cooped up for a few months. It didn't take much time to realize that I wanted to build a 3D printer! I had been scanning the globe(Internet) in search of the perfect project. Behold!!! The MendelMax! Sure there are others but this printer had a bold appearance compared to others and I wanted something rigid. Not that the other offerings wouldn't do the job but I feel that the use of threaded rod and plastic would not hold up as well. I want to share my experience with it and even though this is the 1.5 version, I will take it to the end of the build and document everything including the electronics. I haven't seen anyone complete a tutorial on this machine and wanted to fulfill that. I won't have the updated Y carriage but who knows as I'm sure this won't be the only printer I build, it's just the beginning!








On with the show. I have basic pictures of parts. I put together my parts list from a few different offering around the web and I'm sure it's not the most up-to-date. Personally I have to complete my build slowly as I don't want to spook the wife just yet and hopefully will be able to justify some of the future expense once printing has begun.  It's not cheap to build but if you look around and do some research you will find that parts are available closer than you think. The cost of shipping is a concern to many as with me so I look for the best deals that way. Sometimes no-one has what you need and you need to pull the trigger and do it!










Ok so we all have seen these type of pictures before so I'll keep them to a minimum. The frame building seems to be pretty straight forward. I cut it close on the 5mm flat washers and need to get more of those. I bought 100 and just ran out and will pick some more up locally. The only tools I had to buy was a set of Metric Allen wrenches. Being a carpenter by trade I have most everything else.  Picked up a cheap plastic case to store all the screws and what not, you should do the same. 









The upper angles

I have bypassed setting in the base plate as I do not have it as of this post. I am currently deciding if I am making it myself or buying one. I'm leaning towards making it as I have the material and will just be some easy labor, that's what we love about DIY right? 












I found this nifty tool in my stash and really never used it until now. The blind torx head screw! 







I now am waiting for replacement parts because I was sent the wrong x ends. I have my motors, lead screws, and some other parts showing up in the next couple days and hope they get here before Thanksgiving! I have a long weekend off and would like to finish up the frame. 























No comments:

Post a Comment