Sunday, December 2, 2012

Motor wiring - 6 wires

You have to check the resistance on the motor to find the wire pairs you are going to use. I have six wires and will be using 4. There should be 3 wires per coil in the motor. Set your meter to Ohms and hold one wire on the probe and touch the end of the other wires to find the ones that are on one coil. Then just hold one wire and check the other 2 one at a time to see which pair has the highest resistance, that's the pair to use. Follow the same procedure on the other three wires to find the pair in those. Now you should have two pairs for the motor. Be sure to note the color of the pairs for each motor for later reference. Another way is to get the pairs that give the most resistance by putting 2 together and spinning the motor shaft. Start with no wires connected to see how freely the motor spins, then start pairing and spinning the motor. You will feel the difference in the 2 pairs versus the ones you will not be using.


This is a low resistance reading 


This is my high reading resistance number


I had to solder the motor wires to the connector.



 If you choose this route, don't forget to put a chunk of shrink tube on the wire before you solder!


And we solder to the end stop and complete with the shrink tube


I had a problem with the spring slipping thru the X axis carriage so I had to create my own hex washer! Worked pretty well and took about 5 minutes to make with that handy dremmel!






I'm using 3/8" flexible wire conduit on the harnesses. I like the way it looks and it was a bonus that it fits into the project box I have the Ramps/ Ardunio boards mounted in. I have to drill a few more holes for the 3/4" grommets because it just finished the look and I didn't prepare for it. We will change that tomorrow!

















No comments:

Post a Comment